Monday, January 10, 2011

Cookies & Cream Cupcakes


Imagine, if you will, that the cold weather is long behind us. You've broken out the shorts and flip flops. The sun is beaming and you are warmed from the top of your head through the tips of your toes. What are you in the mood for? For me, it's none other than a scoop of cookies and cream ice cream to chill the glistening sweat seeping from my pores. Ah, summer. (Sigh.)
Ok, now back to reality... You're bundled in a coat and scarf, your fingertips are numb beneath your mittens, and your teeth are chattering uncontrollably. Just because it's snowing outside doesn't mean you can't daydream about warm weather and ice cream. :) And these cupcakes tastes just like one of my favorite flavors, minus the cold factor. Delightful!

These cupcakes were made special for my friend's birthday. Mary always bakes a batch of cupcakes for me on my birthday, so I felt it was time to return the sweet gesture. Mary loves vanilla cupcakes with butterceam frosting, but since I recently blogged about those I was hoping to try something different. She likes chocolate but didn't want a chocolate-chocolate cupcake. (Insert light bulb over my head.) I discovered these at Annie's Eats several months back, and I loved them! Chunks of Oreos baked inside a delicious vanilla cake, and the best part is the surprise that awaits you upon your first bite... an Oreo cookie baked right into the bottom. Yum!
 Annie's recipe calls for a cream cheese frosting, which is what I used the first time I made these. But since buttercream is Mary's favorite, I went with that this time around. Having tried them both ways, my preference is definitely the buttercream frosting. I loved the richness it added to cake. It put the "cream" in "cookies & cream". Melt in your mouth delicious!

Ingredients
Yields 24 cupcakes 
Cupcakes:
24 Oreo halves, with cream filling attached (reserve other halves for garnish)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 2/3 cups sugar
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
18 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped

Frosting:
See Buttercream Frosting post. Note: You will need to double the recipe if you plan to pipe a lot of frosting. This recipe is enough to generously frost 12 cupcakes. I didn't want the frosting to overpower the deliciousness of the cake and cookies, so I did not use a large amount.

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two standard muffin pans with 24 paper liners. Place Oreo halves in the bottom of each liner, cream side up.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Blend in egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, beat in half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Add the milk and beat just until combined, then beat in remaining dry ingredients. Gently fold in the chopped Oreos with rubber spatula.

Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Frost cooled cupcakes as desired. Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs (simply rub two Oreos together). Garnish with reserved Oreo halves (cut halves into half and stand one half in middle of the frosting).

Source: adapted from Annie's Eats

21 comments:

Steph on January 10, 2011 at 12:27 PM said...

These cupcakes could get me in to some serious trouble!! They look so good!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake on January 10, 2011 at 12:27 PM said...

Oh, gosh, these look lovely...my Oreo loving family would really enjoy these :)

Anonymous said...

Wow these cupcakes look amazing! I love how there's an entire oreo waiting for you at the bottom. Mary is definitely a lucky girl!

Sprinkles of Parsley on January 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM said...

Love these!! What a great recipe!

Kim - Liv Life on January 10, 2011 at 3:05 PM said...

You can't go wrong with cookies in cupcake! Love your little wrappers too!

Amy Bakes Everything on January 10, 2011 at 3:27 PM said...

Yay for oreo cupcakes! My kids would love love LOVE these!

Anonymous said...

These cupcakes look great

Carolyn on January 10, 2011 at 5:28 PM said...

These look so great! A great picture, too. I hope you submit it to some of the food photo sites!

Evan @swEEts on January 10, 2011 at 9:36 PM said...

Oh these look good.. I make cookies and cream cupcakes but never with the big chunks! If you live in TX you never have to deal with cold weather (well not real cold weather ha) :)

Mother Rimmy on January 10, 2011 at 10:29 PM said...

Who doesn't love Oreo cookies. Stuff them in a cupcake and you have to be in heaven. They look like fun to eat too!

Vicki Wilde on January 11, 2011 at 11:57 AM said...

I love cookies and cream ice cream too! If these will help remind me of summer, then I'm all in. They look so pretty too!

Anonymous said...

Yum!!! they look amazing! I can't wait to make these!

Blog is the New Black on January 12, 2011 at 8:43 AM said...

BEautiful- great job. And, congrats on top 9! :)

Right where I wanna be! on January 12, 2011 at 1:30 PM said...

these would be sooooo tasty on this blizzard-like day.I am only short on Oreos,shall pick some up today. Love the wrappers. These look beautiful!
Dreaming about having one of these cupcakes with a steaming cup of tea will certainly improve the weather for me :)

briarrose on January 12, 2011 at 3:13 PM said...

What a cute cupcake. I love the oreo's.

Terra on January 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM said...

These are so cute, and look soooo amazing!!! Congrats on the top 9!!!
Take care,
Terra
www.cafeterrablog.com

Brown Cookie Blog on January 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM said...

I love the cupcakes and the cake liner!!! Congrats on making top 9!!

Unknown on January 16, 2011 at 10:16 PM said...

Wonderful, beautiful and fantastic. I love them. The decorating is especially beautiful. I love the frosting and Oreo sticking out. Thanks so much for sharing this.

The Cilantropist on January 18, 2011 at 10:52 PM said...

I love what you did with the half cookie on the top of the cookie, perfect decoration. I bet they tasted just as good as they looked!

Stef said...

these are so nice, I made a batch yesterday, and already been requested to make another batch today. One of the best cupcakes I've ever had/made, thanks for sharing the recipe :D

Anonymous said...

he, thanks for the recipe, i've made it yesterday, i end up with a big batch 20 cupcakes, my question how long this will keep? shall i keep up them outside or inside the fridge, and where did you buy the liners? please answer me ASAP. thanks a lot, can't wait to try another reciepe of yours.

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice