Monday, January 24, 2011

Seven Layer Bars


I have seven words for you... Holy. Moly. These. Bars. Are. So. Good!

Seven is supposed to be a lucky number, right? Well as luck may have it, I discovered these amazing bars about a year ago. Behold... seven layers of yummy goodness baked down into one fantastic dessert. These are super easy to throw together. They are made up of things I love - graham crackers, walnuts, chocolate, butterscotch, white chocolate, and coconut. You can obviously adapt these to your liking, but I find them perfectly irresistible as is. And they are a wonderful crowd pleaser - an excellent dessert for a get-together (an upcoming superbowl party perhaps). Set these on a platter and then step away... if you stand too close, you run the risk of eating them all yourself before anyone else can enjoy them. :)

Ingredients
Yields 20 bars
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
5 oz graham crackers
1 cup finely chopped walnuts 
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips 
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with aluminum foil, allowing about a 2 inch overhang along the long sides of the pan. Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside. 

In a medium skillet over medium heat, toast the coconut, stirring occasionally until lightly browned and golden. Remove from heat.

Place stick of butter in the prepared pan and put it in oven to melt, about 6 minutes. Meanwhile, Place graham crackers in a large ziploc bag. Using a rolling pin, crush crackers until you have a mixture of crumbs, bits and chunks. When butter has melted, remove the pan from the oven. Add graham cracker crumbs to the pan and toss lightly with a fork until butter in absorbed. Distribute crumbs evenly along the bottom of the pan. In order, sprinkle walnuts, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and toasted coconut over the graham cracker crumbs. Pour condensed milk evenly over the top.

Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Cool on wire rack for at least 2 hours. Remove bars from the pan, using excess foil to lift, and transfer to a cutting board. Use a sharp knife and cut into bars, wiping knife clean after each cut.

Source: Annie's Eats

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these bars... I always make them at Christmas time. They're so easy and everyone always loves them. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

That is a bar layered with some serious goodness! YUM!

The Country Cook on January 24, 2011 at 9:46 AM said...

Thank you so much for your lovely comments over at my blog. I'm glad you did so I could come and check yours out. You have some fantastic looking foods here!! I'm your newest follower :)

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE on January 24, 2011 at 11:00 AM said...

Holy Moly is right! Can't wait to make them!

Kate @ Diethood.com on January 24, 2011 at 11:21 AM said...

Oh your bars sound incredible! Bonus points for the coconut on top - yum!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake on January 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM said...

LOVE these!!!! I need an excuse to bake a batch..maybe mine will be "Tuesday."

Mary Bergfeld on January 24, 2011 at 1:17 PM said...

This is a delicious cookie. This is my first visit to your blog and I've just spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Steph on January 24, 2011 at 2:07 PM said...

seven layer bars are like crack to me :) I cannot stop eating them once I start. I love how toasty your coconut flakes look!

Mary at n00bcakes on January 24, 2011 at 2:54 PM said...

I loooove seven layer bars, though I've only ever made them from a box. These look delicious. :)

Evan @swEEts on January 24, 2011 at 3:57 PM said...

7 is most definitely a wonderful number when it comes to a bar like this! Delicious.. love em.. I really want to make these very soon.

Jill Colonna on January 25, 2011 at 7:16 AM said...

Lovely photo and they look scrumptious. Love the combo of flavours! Wish I could just grab one...now!

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen on January 25, 2011 at 3:49 PM said...

This looks SO delicious! The best part is that I have all the ingredients on hand. And 7 is totally my favorite number :)

Amy Bakes Everything on January 25, 2011 at 7:34 PM said...

Classic! These are so easy, my grandma made these! Great job, they look amazing!

briarrose on January 25, 2011 at 7:49 PM said...

I love these bars. So tasty!

Anonymous said...

These look amazing! I love any dessert with coconut in it! Yummy! :)

Rosy on January 26, 2011 at 1:12 PM said...

I have always looked at making these bars but never have. And your pictures are delicious so I see I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do it!

Keaton Buster on January 26, 2011 at 11:40 PM said...

Oh my goodness: YUM! These are quite similar to a recipe I have on my blog called Kitchen Sink Cookie bars. There's coconut, peanut butter, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, cocoa powder and coffee. Your cookies are much prettier than mine! Great minds think alike!

Happy Baking!

keatonthefoodie.blogspot.com

justputzing on January 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM said...

OMG, I buy these all the time from my local bakery! Having this recipe is going to save me a lot of money ;) Thanks!

Janet Wilson on February 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM said...

These look like "Magic Cookie Bars" that my Mom used to make from the back of the sweetened condensed milk can! They're SO SO good!!! One of my all-time favorites!

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice