Wednesday, January 12, 2011

White Bean Chili


Winter Storm 2011 has already struck Atlanta. While this "storm" may not seem like a big deal to some people, I have to remind you that our city is not properly stocked with an endless supply of snowploughs and salt trucks. Things can get messy real quick. And of course, when the meteorologist starts throwing out words such as snow, icy rain, and... a wintry mix of snow and icy rain... a lot of folks feel the need to prepare for a lock down. Everyone starts buying up the basic essentials. So when I went to make my weekly grocery run, the stores were wiped out of all my baking essentials - eggs, milk, unsalted butter. Ok. They were not completely wiped out of all this stuff, but they were wiped out of the brands I use and I'm kind of picky about certain things. So lets just say, it was slim pickins for my pickiness. :) Lucky for us, I had already purchased the ingredients I needed to make this awesome white bean chili. There is nothing like warm soup or chili when it's below freezing outside. This recipe makes a lot, so Matt and I were set for days!

Here are some pics of our winter wonderland. Remember that we live in the south... we were born in the south... we have always lived in the south... so snow like this is VERY exciting for us!
Meet Gus...
And Charlie...
Our pups love the snow! :)

Ok, back to the chili... A friend of ours shared this recipe with us last winter. It is a Publix recipe, and it is scrumptious. Serve it up with a grilled cheese or homemade cornbread and you've got yourself a fantastic meal!

Ingredients
Yields 8 Servings
1 (12 oz) package reduced fat sausage
1 lb ground turkey
1 (10 oz) bag frozen seasoning blend (I use one that contains onions and a couple types of bell peppers)
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 (1.25 oz) package taco seasoning mix
2 (15.8 oz) cans great northern beans (undrained) 
1 (14 oz) can low sodium chicken broth
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles
1 (16 oz) can green chile and lime refried beans

Directions
Preheat large saucepan on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add sausage, ground turkey, frozen seasoning blend, and garlic. Cook 10-12 minutes or until meat is browned and no pink remains; stir frequently and break meat up as it cooks. Stir in taco seasoning; cover and cook for 1 minute.

In a large stock pot, combine beans (including liquids), chicken broth, green chiles, and refried beans over medium-high heat. Stir in meat mixture; cover and bring to a boil. Serve.

Source: slightly adapted from Publix Apron's recipe

12 comments:

Blog is the New Black on January 12, 2011 at 9:19 AM said...

I wish I had this today!

Steph on January 12, 2011 at 1:52 PM said...

This looks perfect for a snow day! Wishing I had a bowl right now :)

blackbookkitchendiaries on January 12, 2011 at 2:41 PM said...

this is just what i need right now:)

Amy Bakes Everything on January 12, 2011 at 3:42 PM said...

Gorgeous chili, perfect for a snowy day! Your dogs are so sweet! Congrats on Top 9, well deserved!

Sandra on January 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM said...

Amazing Chili..and wonderful photos!

Evan @swEEts on January 13, 2011 at 11:17 AM said...

This soup sound great! I can't believe the snow you all have gotten down there (I used to live in Statesboro, right outside of Savannah) craziness! I bet this warmed you right up though :)

Anonymous said...

Wow this chili looks perfect for the cold weather! My puppy loves the snow too!

kita on January 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM said...

Oh a hearty bowl of chili would be perfect right now. Looks great :) Hope you thaw out fom all that snow soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gus and Charlie! What cuties! This chili sounds fantastic!

Tiffany on January 13, 2011 at 9:05 PM said...

Yes, snow and the south are like oil and vinegar!!!! p.s... your dogs are super cute!

Anonymous said...

Your dogs look like they are not too pleased with the snow!! My dog won't even go out in the rain, he's never seen snow!!

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness on February 12, 2011 at 7:37 PM said...

From one fellow Georgian, Snow is not something we see much of so its always fun but his one kicked us hard. 8 days of this stuff on the ground. I know I was happy to see it go.

Not sure how I came to your blog but boy oh boy! Oh so glad I did. My goodness, its makes me want to dive right in my kitchen.

The chili looks awesome, have never tried it with turkey, will do so now.

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice