Sunday, March 20, 2011

Fire Roasted Tomato and Basil Pasta


My calendar tells me that today was the first day of spring. Ah, spring. Flowers are blooming, trees are looking vibrant, and I am itching to get outside each day and enjoy the beautiful weather! Can you believe that spring is already here? The weeks are passing so quickly, and I am struggling to hold onto to my weekends. When our schedule gets this busy, I have to reach into my recipe box and dig out those quick, yet tasty, meals that come together with minimal effort.
This is one of those recipes that we tried and loved, but then it was somehow buried away. I was excited to stumble upon it again! This pasta is full of flavor and has a nice kick from the fire roasted tomatoes and red pepper flakes. 

Ingredients
Yields 6 servings
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 of a medium onion, finely chopped
2 tsp garlic, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 tsp sea salt
8 oz angel hair pasta
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup Romano cheese

Directions
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and red pepper; cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stir frequently. Add tomatoes and salt; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; Simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, cook pasta as directed on package. Drain; transfer to serving bowl. Pour tomato mixture over pasta; toss gently to coat. Add basil, both cheeses, and remaining oil; toss to combine. 

Source: adapted from Muir Glen

15 comments:

cocoa and coconut on March 21, 2011 at 12:44 AM said...

I love this pasta dish! Glad you re-found your recipe. Enjoy Spring! It is my favourite season I think.

Blog is the New Black on March 21, 2011 at 8:11 AM said...

This looks like a wonderful pasta dish- I SO love basil!!

Stephanie on March 21, 2011 at 12:02 PM said...

What lovely pictures! Pasta can be hard to photograph but yours looks wonderful. Sounds delicious too - you've combined all my favorite flavors for pasta.

Carolyn on March 21, 2011 at 2:31 PM said...

It may technically be spring now, but it's snowing in Mass! A lot! Ugh. But your pasta would cheer me up.

Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com on March 21, 2011 at 3:00 PM said...

Delicious! Great spring pasta.

Torviewtoronto on March 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM said...

flavourful dish looks wonderful

Danielle on March 21, 2011 at 6:01 PM said...

Love the flavor combo! Looks so quick and easy to throw together, too!

Lyndsey on March 21, 2011 at 10:27 PM said...

This looks so delicious! I love it : )

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on March 21, 2011 at 11:59 PM said...

What a lovely simple pasta dish. I love a fiery tomato sauce.

Cassie | Bake Your Day on March 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM said...

I love simplicity and this is simplicity at its finest, looks wonderful!

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls on March 22, 2011 at 11:49 AM said...

What a beautiful and colorful perfect Sprig dish! Lovethis!!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xx
Delightful Bitefuls

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom on March 22, 2011 at 2:48 PM said...

Your pasta and sauce bridge the changing seasons together so nicely.

Harvesting for Life on March 22, 2011 at 11:44 PM said...

Positively beautiful pasta dish! I will have to try this soon as my entire family is obsessed with pasta!

briarrose on March 23, 2011 at 9:14 AM said...

Wonderful recipe. I love the mix of flavors...especially the hint of spice. :)

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny on April 7, 2011 at 9:45 AM said...

Mmm this looks so good! I definitely want to make this one soon, thanks for sharing! :)

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice